Comment on Godaddy VPS Review by SEO Dave.

Godaddy VPS ReviewFinally figured it out.

Still haven’t a clue how the ports are opening etc… with iptables/ip6tables disabled (masked) in Centos 7, but I got it working.

I wasn’t having any luck with opening the Webmin port 10000, so gave up.

Switched Webmin to use another port, first downloaded the “/etc/services” file to find an unused port. The services file lists all named ports, picked one not in the file.

Downloaded the “/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf” file and changed to two instances of


To use the selected port (changed 10000 to another port number), uploaded it back to the server, rebooted and found Webmin wasn’t running: wasn’t running before this, but I get caught up with opening port 10000 so didn’t investigate.

Both of these commands said Webmin had stopped

service --status-all
service webmin status

Took a look at the error file and tracked down the issue to another setting in the “/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf” file.

Changed “ipv6=1” to “ipv6=0” and reuploaded, rebooted…

Also modified the “/etc/sysyconfig/iptables/” file to include the new port number. Basically added a new rule under the port 10000 rule (third line below replacing NEWPORTHERE with the port number 12345):

-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 10001 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 10000 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport NEWPORTHERE -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2222 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport https -j ACCEPT

Don’t know if the above is important, since iptables/ip6tablesis disabled the file shouldn’t do anything (unless there’s another service managing the firewall).

Uploaded the iptables file, rebooted and Webmin now worked on the new port.

May well be a case I could have skipped pretty much all the above except the “ipv6=1” to “ipv6=0” change. I’d have to change it all back to be sure, think I’ll pass on that one :-) It’s also more secure to put Webmin on a port other than 10000.

Had some issues with the Virtualmin post setup, got this error when setting up the database:

An error occurred starting MySQL :

Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start  mariadb.service
Job for mariadb.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status mariadb.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details

Checked the log file and tracked it down to a folder permission problem, this command fixed it:

chown mysql:mysql /var/run/mariadb/

Looks like it’s finally working, not added a domain yet, so won’t be 100% certain until I install a Virtualserver.

Can not believe how long this took to fix, though on the plus side I’m around 100X more experienced at managing servers via a SHH program now :-)